Monday 26 January 2009

I promised you a while ago that I would tell you the story related to the film ‘Brother Sun Sister Moon’. This was the first clip I put up on this blog and it is titled ‘If you want your dream to be…’
Well, this is the story:
It was a cold and dark winter day in February 1982. At that time I was a second year graduate at the Petö Institute. I was just about to take my afternoon coffee break and I was heading towards reception to collect some pre-ordered coffee for all us who were having a break, when I bumped into a small group of conductors having a heated discussion behind the curtains at the adult department. (Felnőtt Ambulancia)
As I arrived they turned towards me… so what do you think Szathmáry?? Addressing people and using their surname was and still is widely acceptable and not unfriendly at work or in any professional settings in Hungary.
What did I think?… Frankly I was quite uncertain about my own point of view.
They were talking about the history of disability and about how each culture dealt with their disabled fellow humans.
All I knew and all I was certain about without a doubt, that everything I was taught to do in my practice and theory were resonating with my heart and soul.
I loved what I was learning about Konduktiv Pedagogia and the humane way we approached and structured the children’s and the adults’ life at Petö.
But the question was given to me… which was the right way?
I listened to many different points of views through that conversation, but I left the group with a quest in mind. What is the best for the individuals?
On the same day a fellow konduktor asked me whether I was free to go to the Film Museum with her, as there was a really good film she wanted to see. I agreed.
In the Budapest’s Film Museum at that time only arty and unusual films were shown, films, which were never circulated in commercial movies. So off we went to see ‘Brother Sun Sister Moon’…
When the film got to the scene, where Francis of Assisi was re-building the temple and his only helpers were the old, vulnerable and the disabled my heart sank. Tears filled my eyes and when the picture shown the little boy who couldn’t move his body only his head, sitting in the cold snow and was helping Francis how to position the stone in the right way… There it was, I got the answer to my quest and at that point I truly understood that every single life is precious and we all have a purpose and a gift, which is invaluable. What Francis would have done without that boy? Would he have accomplished his vision? I believe that Francis needed that boy to make it perfect and he also needed all of those who were with him when his family and friends rejected him. There is a purpose for everyone and everything in this life. It is our job to find our purpose behind the presenting façades and also to help others if we can to find their own purpose. There are no spare parts in the Universe we all have an invaluable contribution to make to life.

If You Want Your Dream To Be ... [brother sun, sister moon]

No comments: