Sunday 11 January 2009


About Empowering ‘The Big E’.

Empowering means that I value you and I respect you so much that I would like to remind you of your true nature, of your true inner being which is powerful beyond measures. I expect you that you will be able to find the way, which makes sense to you.

Expectation is a key word in our work. I also know and understand that while I am empowering you I feel empowered so we both benefit from the process.

When I am working with you and empowering you my intention is to assist you and encourage you to see your individuality and your ‘one off’ unique existence in this lifetime so you can see, feel and utilise the bigger part of yourself, which is based upon your wellness and your creative power.

It can be very ‘disempowering’ when people are told that they have a neurological disability or as a matter of fact any problem or illness. I could write a whole chapter on the horror stories, which I have heard of how people are diagnosed. So empowering parents and empowering children and adults who have to deal with disabilities means that we must help them to find the power (the natural forces of health and wellness within) to search for their own solutions. Solutions that they feel most comfortable to implement, live by and benefit from at that particular time of their lives.

We provide strategies, ways and means, which they can use as guiding posts in their search for their own solutions. Petö said (allegedly) … ‘ when you don’t know what to do, the children will show you the way’…

When we have to face issues/problems, which we find hard to overcome, we often but not always feel victims. We are looking out for help and searching for answers outside of ourselves…wanting someone to make us better, but not always. The strength and value of outside support must be based on empowering.

I have seen parents who brought their children to me and when I took the footwear off the children the splints they had on made the children’s feet bleed. When I asked the parents ‘did you see that?’ They said ‘yes, but the consultant told me that it is good for my child’. Some parents are kept so ‘disempowered’ that they even stop questioning and using common sense to help their own children. No wonder that they struggle and feel lost.

When we are facilitated to be in charge we can move mountains, when we see ourselves as victims we cannot get far.
This is what Petö thought me… don’t look at the ‘bad’ leg or ‘bad’ arm you cannot build on that… look at the person who moves the leg and the arm… Victims need someone to move their legs and arms. People in charge will find the way to move their own limbs, reorganise their own body in time and space and learn to function despite of their underlying conditions. Every single little movement, which is produced, has to start with the person becoming innervated then facilitation can be carried out by us. People can only become innervated when they are emotionally and psychologically involved and willing to participate thus empowered.

No comments: